Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Return of My Soap Box

Yes, the soap box has returned! Did you really think it would stay gone all that long???

Years ago I joined a group of Mormon mommies on MySpace. It was a large group of women and there was lots of drama, needless petty arguments, people getting offended...

Once Facebook became popular, the group moved there and we slowly whittled down our group to a small, and AMAZING group of women. Currently there are 18 of us. It is a safe, loving, warm, and inviting place for us to go to vent our frustrations about life, to ask questions about being a mom, and to ask for prayers and love on our behalf or for people we love that are struggling. More than once, without even asking, my name has been placed on the prayer roll of numerous temples. I have had flowers and chocolate delivered to me on my darkest days. I have gotten text messages at the perfect time to keep me from giving up on life.

Of these 18 wonderful women, I have only met 3 in 'real' life...but I still consider all 18 to be among my best friends.

These 18 women know everything there is to know about me. They've supported me through pregnancies, illness, bad relationships, single motherhood, addictions....and through all of it, they have shown me unconditional love, have offered their support in any way possible, and have made my trials easier to endure.

I recently heard somebody say that people have a hard time separating 'real' life from Facebook. While I can see where that might be true for some, I can honestly say, that's not true for most.

So, I guess my point of this rant is to say, meeting somebody face to face doesn't make a 'real' friend. A 'real' friend is somebody who knows everything there is to know about you, and still loves you. I'm lucky that I have a group of women that know everything about me and they love me in spite of it all.

I hope to, one day, meet each of them in person, hug them, and be able to tell them how greatly they have impacted my life. But until then, I'm going to keep being their friend in our 'fake' world!

1 comment:

  1. I would gladly be your fake friend for the rest of my life as long as it meant you were in it! So grateful for this group for bringing us together :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete