Monday, October 31, 2011

My Friend Pat


There is a kind of unspoken connection and kinship between cancer patients. We can see each other in the grocery store or at the gas station, or at the oncologist office, and instantly have a bond and share a level of love for each other. When a friend, somebody you love deeply, is diagnosed with cancer, that love and connection is even deeper. You never have to ask how the other is feeling. You never have to ask how treatments are going. You never have to ask what they need. You just know.

When I was young, there was a substitute teacher in our school district named Ms. Masiello. In all honesty, I was scared to death of her! She intimidated the crud out of me! As I grew, and went into high school I was in marching band with her son, Andy (Okay, I had a huge crush on Andy). But, that fear of Ms. Masiello turned into a huge respect for a woman who was not only an educator, but a single mother, and one of the biggest supporters of EVERYBODY she came in contact with.

More recently, well I guess over 8 months ago now, I ran into Ms. Masiello at the nail salon. We were both getting pedicures. As we started chatting, we discussed our current diagnoses, our chemo treatments, our crappy days, our children, our hopes and dreams for the future, our fears...and this just didn't happen once. I know full well, that the Lord had a hand in putting the two of us in those pedicure chairs countless times by 'accident' so that we could have those precious moments together. It was those times that took Ms. Masiello and turned her into my friend Pat.

My friend Pat lost her battle with cancer a few days ago. On Saturday I was able to sit in the backyard of her home, surrounded by her family and friends. Each of them dressed in her favorite color, red, and listen to stories about an amazing mother, friend, educator, and all around phenomenal woman.

As we were preparing to leave, Pat's daughter Jennifer hugged me and told me that her mom was always excited to go get her pedicure because she was hoping to run into me. But she also told me that Pat was proud of me for the way I was handling my situation, the attitude that I have maintained, and the job I was doing raising my sons. Those words are probably the most meaningful words I've ever heard in my life. A woman I've looked up to since elementary school IS proud of ME!

Pat you will be missed more than I can ever say. You are a phenomenal woman. You inspired many generations with your kindness, generosity, love and constant nurturing spirit.

I look forward to the day I can hug you once again and tell you what I never got to tell you in this life....I love you!

Until we meet again....

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. I felt I knew her too and tears came to my eyes. You see my Mom has cancer too and she is not doing well. I saw your blog before I knew she had cancer but I was drawn to you and I enjoy hearing your posts. Thanks! Keep strong.

    Blanca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's nice to know That my babbling can reach somebody and actually help them in their trials. Your mother and entire family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete